Sunday 10 March 2013

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling

Once again I've been through a non-reading patch, and am behind on where I should be for the year.  Still, there's plenty of time left to rectify that and yesterday I managed to read almost all of the Chamber of Secrets in one sitting.

Continuing my Harry Potter re-read journey, I started reading the second book a few weeks ago but for some reason never settled in.  Slightly unusual as I have always regarded this as my favourite in the series.  I guess that the opening scenes aren't what draw me in though.

I find Tom Marvolo Riddle to be an absolutely fascinating character, particularly with the parallels drawn between his and Harry's upbringing.  The complete self-assurance of being popular and brilliant is hard to ignore.  But I think what I find most interesting is that he is a half-blood, which always puts the reactions of 'faithful' families like the Malfoys into a different context.

Part of me has now got the Harry Potter bug back, and I can't wait to read more.  But part of me thinks it might be time to return to Poirot or Holmes for some good old-fashioned detective work.  Not sure which will win, I just hope I read something!

No comments:

Post a Comment