Saturday 28 July 2012

Carpe Jugulum - Terry Pratchett

True to intentions I returned to Discworld for my next book, and it didn't disappoint.  Carpe Jugulum (or "Go for the throat" as Nanny translates it) focuses on the witches and Lancre as dignitaries from across the Disc arrive for the naming ceremony of the baby princess.  Unfortunately, some of those invited guests include vampires, and once they've been invited they are hard to get rid of.

The whole idea of the story is one that really appeals to me.  Young vampires being conditioned from an early age to be resistant to holy water, garlic and similar items.  It makes perfect sense really, as everyone knows how to kill a vampire and so if you're immune to those methods you must be on to a winner.

Of the witches, my favourite is definitely Agnes.  The arguments with Perdita are a particular highlight, and these feature heavily in this book.  There's a lot to be said for listening to the nagging voice within, although talking back to it is a little weird.

But much as I love Agnes, the best character in Carpe Jugulum for me was Mightily Oats.  Definitely had a bit of a soft spot for the Omnian priest who never meant to get into any trouble.  The fact that he keeps trying to do the work his beliefs tell him is right, even though he's not sure if he's sure about those beliefs, seems reassuringly real.  His interactions with the witches also make for some very amusing encounters.

It took me a little while to get into this.  I think that there were so many strands of plot to set up that it wasn't until a few combined that I really got my head around which were the key points.  But, as always, I got fully immersed in the world and really struggled not to laugh out loud while reading in my lunch break.  I'd very much recommend reading the earlier witches books first, to really understand the interpersonal dynamics, but once you have done then this is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment