Friday 2 March 2012

Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella

In case you didn't guess by the author, if you're allergic to chick lit then this probably won't interest you that much!  Personally I am a believer that you never know if you'll like a type of book until you try it, so would be disappointed if someone never even gave it a chance.

Twenties Girl is about Lara Lington, a girl who is struggling to have anything really go right in her life.  Then she goes to her great aunt Sadie's funeral and everything changes as Sadie's ghost appears and starts talking to her.  Which changes things somewhat.

Ok, I'll admit, I often find chick lit just a bit too cringeworthy, and sometimes struggle to read chapters properly because of it.  But with this book there was no struggle.  Instead of wanting to hide with embarrassment I was laughing out loud at the situations and the amazing dialogue between characters.  In fact I was laughing so much reading it at home that I felt self conscious reading in my lunch break in case I laughed too loud at work!

The characters are great and their development through the story is even better.  The relationship between Lara and Sadie is particularly special, and a reminder that the advice you need can come from the strangest of places (granted, not normally this strange).  There are also several moments that are great examples of needing to just go with the flow and stop worrying, which if I'm honest is a lesson I could use learning.

This is a book that I would absolutely recommend to anyone wanting to relax and enjoy themselves.  The way a book makes you feel is such a big part of the reading experience, and the range of emotions I had reading this definitely made it for me.  I don't generally think about what my favourite book is, because I have such a varied taste, but after finishing reading the brilliant ending of Twenties Girl the word favourite did enter my head several times.

It's also given me the desire to learn to dance Charleston.  Isn't it great when a book changes how you feel...

No comments:

Post a Comment